CBS This Morning Podcast: Jeff Glor talks to "We Want to Negotiate" author Joel Simon

“CBS This Morning” podcast
February 21, 2019

"CBS Evening News" anchor Jeff Glor talks to the executive director of the Committee to Protect Journalists. Should the U.S. negotiate for the release of American hostages?

Joel Simon has worked for decades to try to bring dozens of reporters back home to America, but it's an official policy of the United States to never make financial concessions or negotiate with terrorist organizations in exchange for the safe return of its citizens. Supporters of the current policy argue that such ransom payments would be used to aid terrorism and would make citizens targets. Opponents of the policy say the hostages are more likely to die in captivity without negotiating their release. Simon, a former freelance journalist in Latin America, lays out the hostage policy debate in his book, We Want to Negotiate: The Secret World of Kidnapping, Hostages and Ransom.

Listen now via soundcloud.com